Rather than traditional tomato sauce, this lasagna relies on layers of green veggies and a creamy vegan ricotta for fresh, deep flavor. If made ahead, remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
Spring Vegetable Lasagna
- CASHEW-BASIL RICOTTA
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1½ cups raw cashews, soaked in water overnight, drained
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves (one 2 /3-ounce package)
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm (not silken) tofu, drained
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 pound grated vegan mozzarella cheese, such as Go Veggie! Mozzarella
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 10 cremini or button mushrooms (about 9 ounces), thinly sliced
- 2 large roasted and peeled red bell peppers, cut into 1x½-inch slices
- 2 (10-ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ pound no-boil lasagna noodles
- To make ricotta: Process garlic in a food processor until minced. Add remaining ricotta ingredients except mozzarella and process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Remove to a bowl. Set aside ½ cup mozzarella and stir remainder into ricotta. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add asparagus and broccoli. Cook until just tender, 3–4 minutes. Drain in a colander and quickly refresh under cold water; spread on a towel to dry.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. Add garlic, stirring to prevent sticking. As soon as garlic is fragrant (1 minute), add mushrooms and stir to coat; sauté until browned and most liquid has evaporated, about 12 minutes. Add sliced red bell pepper and stir for about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Squeeze spinach in a colander; mix into mushroom mixture, along with asparagus, broccoli, scallions, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Spread remaining oil in a deep 9x13-inch baking dish. Cover pan bottom with noodles, overlapping slightly. Spread with one-third of spinach mixture, cover with one-third of ricotta, and cover with another layer of noodles. Repeat layers, pressing down slightly. Cover final noodle layer with remaining ricotta and spinach mixture. Sprinkle with reserved mozzarella.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 45 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to 400˚, and cook 8–10 minutes to brown slightly. Let sit at least 5 minutes before serving.
Spring Vegetable Lasagna
Amount Per Serving
Calories 433 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g 22%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Sodium 963mg 40%
Total Carbohydrates 55g 18%
Dietary Fiber 7g 28%
Protein 18g 36%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING: 433 cal, 14g fat (8g mono, 3g poly, 2g sat), 0mg chol, 18g protein, 55g carb, 7g fiber, 963mg sodium