This nourishing Northern Thai coconut soup has brown rice standing in for noodles. Vegans can enjoy the meal with chickpeas or tofu, while omnivores can enjoy it with chicken. Colorful toppings soak up the spicy, soupy base. Swaps from traditional khao soi ingredients have been made for convenience, allowing this to be assembled on a weeknight.
If noodles are a must in your khao soi, try thin brown rice vermicelli or brown rice ramen noodles in place of the rice.
Weeknight Khao Soi
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 2 Tbsp lemongrass paste
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp grated garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric or 1grated fresh turmeric
- 2 Tbsp Thai red curry paste gluten free
- 2 tsp makrut lime leaves or 1lime zest
- 2 - 14 oz cans light coconut milk
- 1 cup unsalted chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
Proteins (choose one)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, or 2 chicken breasts
- 1 - 12 oz package extra-firm tofu pressed and cut into cubes
- 1 - 19 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups steamed or roasted sweet potatoes
- 2 cups steamed greens such as spinach
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup roughly chopped or picked cilantro leaves
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- low-sodium tamari optional
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, cardamom, and turmeric. Sauté for 1 minute, until fragrant, ensuring not to burn. Mix in curry paste and lime leaves or zest, cooking for 30 seconds more. Slowly stir in coconut milk, broth, sugar, and lime juice, mixing well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and add chicken or tofu or chickpeas. Reduce to simmer and cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes. If using chicken, check for doneness at this point; if cooked, transfer to plate and shred before adding back into pot (or serve on the side). Keep soup warm on stovetop until ready to serve. If you prefer a thicker broth, simmer uncovered until reduced to your desired consistency.
- To serve, in deep bowls, add a scoop of rice followed by ladles of coconut soup (be sure to get all of the chicken or chickpeas or tofu in there, too!). Top with sweet potatoes, greens, green onions, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and tamari for seasoning.
Per serving: 526 calories; 26 g protein; 22 g total fat (11 g sat. fat); 67 g total carbohydrates (4 g sugars, 7 g fiber); 599 mg sodium