A rich treat for the pickiest chocolate aficionados. Keep a generous supply on hand for unexpected guests.
Soy Milk Truffles
- 2/3 cup vanilla-sweetened soy milk
- 2 cup (12 oz.) malt-sweetened, semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces finely chopped, unsweetened chocolate
- DIPPING AND ROLLING
- 1 1/2 cups malt-sweetened, semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch processed
- Dessicated coconut and finely chopped walnuts
- Heat soy milk in saucepan or microwave only until very hot. Do not simmer, as it will curdle.
- Place 2 cups chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate in medium bowl. Pour in hot soy milk; let stand 1 minute. Whisk gently until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Cover baking sheet with wax paper. Scoop firm truffle mixture with melon baller and roll between palms to make 1-inch spheres. Place on baking sheet and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in top of double boiler over hot water, melt 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips and oil, stirring until smooth. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Place cocoa, coconut and chopped walnuts in separate small bowls.
- Place a chocolate ball in the palm of your hand. Spoon about 1 tablespoon melted chocolate over ball. Roll ball between palms, lightly but completely coating it. Transfer ball to one topping of choice and roll to coat completely, then transfer to clean baking sheet. Refrigerate until hard, about 10 minutes. Store in airtight container. Serve chilled.