Flourless chocolate cake became my obsession in the bustling kitchen of a gourmet restaurant where I worked in the early ’90s. I was fascinated by the dense but creamy texture, as well as the deep, dark, fudgy flavor of this masterpiece. I experimented with different chocolates, sweeteners, numbers of eggs, and flavorings until I found the perfect combination. This Flourless Dark Chocolate Cake should be the cake you serve when impressing and spoiling your guests is the goal. You might never use flour again.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/4 lbs bittersweet chocolate gluten free if desired, roughly chopped, 20 oz, containing at least 60% cacao
- 1 cup salted butter cut into 1 inch cubes, plus more for greasing pan
- 7 organic eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Grease 9 inch round springform pan and set pan on piece of foil. Fold foil up outside of the pan, forming a waterproof layer. Set aside.
- In small saucepan, combine water, sugar, and salt over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- In large bowl over medium saucepan of simmering water, place chocolate and stir until chocolate has melted. Remove chocolate from heat and, with hand mixer on medium speed, beat in butter (one cube at a time) until well blended. Add sugar mixture and eggs (one at a time) and beat at medium speed. Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Bring kettle of water to a boil. Pour batter into prepared springform pan and place pan into larger pan. Pour boiling water into the larger pan until it reaches 1 inch up sides of springform pan. Bake cake until edges are firm, about 45 minutes. Remove cake from oven and let cool on rack.
- Chill cake in refrigerator overnight. Remove from springform pan when ready to serve.
Chocolate and coffee are a popular pairing because the bitterness and sweetness create an incredible richness. To bring that richness to this recipe, stir 1 Tbsp espresso powder into the water along with the sugar and salt. Then follow the remaining steps as written.