These buttery rolls freeze well; simply reheat on a baking sheet before serving. For best results, use a stand mixer; the mixture is too heavy for the ingredients to thoroughly incorporate by hand. The uncooked dough is soft and tears easily, so be extra gentle.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon natural cane sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup (102 grams) sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup (120 grams) sweet rice flour plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup (80 grams) brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup (54 grams) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (96 grams) potato starch
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup (30 grams) natural cane sugar
- 2/3 cup (96 grams) dry (powdered) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup softened butter to spread on dough
- Mix yeast with 1/2 cup warm water (100˚-110˚) and 1 tablespoon sugar; let sit until mixture bubbles, about 5 minutes. Put 1 1/4 cups water and 1/4 cup butter in a glass measuring cup and microwave until butter is melted (don't let it get too hot). Cool butter-water mixture to lukewarm (about 110˚).
- In a large bowl, mix together all flours, potato starch, xanthan gum, salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and dry milk. Add yeast mixture and mix well with mixer. Add butter-water mixture; mix well. Add eggs and mix well again. Dough will be very sticky.
- Generously dust a clean work surface with sweet rice flour. Divide dough into two mounds. Top with more sweet rice flour and gently knead. Cover mounds with a clean towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll one dough mound into a 12- to 14-inch circle. (If needed, dust dough top and bottom with more rice flour to prevent sticking.) Spread about 1/4 cup softened butter on dough. Cut dough into 12 triangles. Carefully roll up each triangle, beginning with the wide end (it helps to cut a little notch in the middle of the wide end before rolling it up) and pulling outward very gently as you go so the roll isn't too tight; this helps the insides to bake. Place on a greased or baking-mat covered baking sheet; tuck final tip underneath. Gently shape into a crescent. Repeat with remaining dough. Spray a sheet of plastic wrap (or two) with cooking spray and cover rolls; let rise for 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Bake rolls for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Cool on cooling racks.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 157 Calories from Fat 104184
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11576g 17809%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Monounsaturated Fat 11576g
Cholesterol 31mg 10%
Sodium 153mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 20g 7%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 4g 8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING (1): 157 cal; 6g fat (2g mono, 0g poly, 4g sat), 31mg chol, 4g protein, 20g carb, 1g fiber, 153mg sodium