Yellow Cake with Chocolate Tofu Ganache Serves 8 The addition of soft tofu makes this cake moist and delicious. In this recipe, the tofu cakes are filled with strawberry jam and encased in smooth chocolate ganache, but you can use any filling or frosting you want (try a fluffy cream cheese frosting by combining 3 oz. softened soy cream cheese, 1/4 cup soy milk, 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 oz. of melted chocolate. Then, beat until fluffy). Ganache made with soy milk is less firm and glossy than standard ganache, which is made with heavy cream, but it is delicious nonetheless.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Frosting Time: 10 minutes
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup soy margarine
8 ounces soft tofu
1 1/2 cups soy milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
3. With an electric mixer, beat sugar and margarine together until creamy.
4. In a food processor or blender, mix tofu, soy milk and vanilla until smooth. Combine tofu mixture with sugar and margarine and mix completely.
5. Gradually add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until combined.
6. Pour batter into greased pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Cool until cakes reach room temperature and remove from pans. Spread strawberry jam evenly on one layer and top with the other. Frost with Chocolate Tofu Ganache.