Try your hand at candy making—we promise, it's easy!
Natural chef Julie Morris, author of Superfood Snacks (Sterling, 2015), created this simple superfood recipe for homemade fruit-infused licorice.
As long as you have a spice grinder and a food processor, you can enjoy these tasty chews in minutes.
Mulberry Licorice Chews
• 3 tablespoons dried fennel seeds, divided
• 1 ½ cups dried white mulberries
• 1 tablespoon maqui berry powder
• 1 tablespoon agave nectar
1. Place 2 tablespoons fennel seeds in a spice grinder; process for several seconds into a very fine powder.
2. In a food processor, combine ground fennel powder, mulberries, maqui berry powder and agave. Process until mixture is sticky and coarse.
3. Spoon remaining 1 tablespoon fennel seeds into a small bowl. Using your fingers, form 1 teaspoon of the mulberry mixture into a small, compact roll. Tap one side of the roll in the fennel seeds to decorate the top—just enough to add an extra flavor punch. Repeat with remaining mulberry mixture, using 1 teaspoon at a time.
4. Store chews covered in the refrigerator up to several weeks. Serve at room temperature.