Serves 4 / This salad’s exotic sweet-sourness combines well with any smoked meat or fish. The dish looks nice with the carrots on top, but you could also toss them with the lettuce.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 1/2 bunch scallions or 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 4 cups baby arugula, washed and spun dry
- 2-3 tablespoons slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- Whisk together oils, lemon juice, cinnamon, cardamom, honey, salt, and pepper. (Makes about 1/2 cup.) Toss 2 tablespoons dressing with carrots, currants, scallions, and mint. Let mixture sit at least 10 minutes. Before serving, toss again. Taste and correct seasoning with more dressing or salt, if needed, tossing once more.
- Toss arugula with 1–2 tablespoons dressing and divide between four chilled plates, spreading out to form even beds. Arrange carrot salad loosely in the center of each. Top with slivered almonds and a light sprinkling of cinnamon. Serve at once.
PER SERVING: 131 cal, 51% fat cal, 8g fat, 1g sat fat, 0mg chol, 2g protein, 15g carb, 3g fiber, 101mg sodium