Canned beans are braised with cherry tomatoes, fennel, and health-boosting spices, making for a satisfying topping for whole grains, sprouted wheat pasta, or sourdough bread. A refreshing side of creamy cucumber salad makes this meal feel whole. This is a great excuse to experiment with a new-to-you spice.
What is berbere?
Berbere is a spice blend from Ethiopia that can include warming ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg, along with fruity coriander and cardamom, black pepper, chili peppers, garlic, paprika, cumin, and fenugreek. Grocery stores now carry the spice blend, but it’s also readily available online.
Berbere Spice-Braised Bean, Fennel, and Tomato Bowls
- 1 - 19 oz can chickpeas or white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 fennel bulb cored and sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 oz cups cherry tomatoes or 1 - 14can cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more to serve
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp berbere spice blend or spice blend of choice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 oz cups shredded cooked chicken or 2 - 6cans flaked tuna, drained (optional)
- 1 English cucumber diced
- 1/3 cup plain kefir or plain vegan yogurt
- 2 Tbsp parsley or chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp brown rice vinegar or sauerkraut liquid from jar
- 3 cups cooked sprouted quinoa brown rice, or millet
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In Dutch oven or large ovenproof dish with lid, mix to combine all braise ingredients (except chicken or tuna), then cover and bake for 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and tomatoes have broken down. Give tomatoes a gentle mash to release more juice, watching out for hot juice sputtering up. Mix in chicken or tuna, if using, and bake, covered, for 10 more minutes, until heated through.
- To serve, in medium bowl, combine diced cucumber with kefir, dill, and vinegar. Scoop grains into serving bowls and top with braised vegetable-bean mixture and cucumber mixture. Serve with a drizzle of additional olive oil.
Per serving (with chicken): 434 calories; 27 g protein; 14 g total fat (2 g sat. fat); 52 g total carbohydrates (5 g sugars, 0 g fiber); 512 mg sodium