Mother’s Day is an annual chance to acknowledge and celebrate all the wonderful women we love the most. With the current global situation still, the sentiment behind Mother’s Day this year is more meaningful than ever. There’s no reason you can’t treat the women you love to a fresh, heartfelt, and homemade meal.
The following menu of tantalizing and good-for-you recipes is mostly make-ahead, freeing you up to spend more time with those who truly matter. These recipes are also perfect for packing up and delivering or for venturing out to dine alfresco. No matter what you make this Mother’s Day, a home-cooked meal created with love in your heart will ensure it’s a day to remember.
When packaging up a meal to go, it’s important to keep in mind a few tips and tricks to ensure all arrives unscathed.
- Choose a cooler or picnic basket large enough to hold everything that’s needed.
- Pack meal components in reusable airtight containers. If you’re eating outdoors, consider packing your meal in single-serve quantities to reduce the amount of serving utensils needed and reducing the risk of spilled soup.
- Keep components such as dressings, fillings, and optional extras stored away in separate containers until needed. This helps to prevent your meal from becoming soggy during transport.
- While freezer packs are useful in keeping food chilled, you can also freeze water in a reusable bottle. Not only will it keep the food cool, but as the ice melts, you’ll be left with an extra supply of cold water to enjoy.
- To best preserve chilled foods, remember the mantra that heat rises and cold sinks. Cold packs should be the last item to go into your cooler or basket, on top of the food containers.
- Don’t forget to pack reusable or eco-friendly plates, cutlery, glasses, and napkins that you can whisk away at the end of the meal. Mom will surely appreciate not having to do the dishes!