Serves 4 / Lean proteins, including skinless chicken, are low in artery-clogging saturated fat. Paired with whole grains for antioxidants and fiber, pine nuts for monounsaturated fats, and beta-carotene-packed mangoes, and you have a nutrient-rich lunch or supper. Ingredient tip: Look for black rice, also called forbidden or Chinese black rice, in well-stocked bulk sections, or packaged.
- 1 cup black rice, black and mahogany rice blend (such as Lundberg Japonica), or brown rice blend
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup mango nectar, divided
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast, chopped (leftover or skinless rotisserie chicken is fine)
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced ripe mango
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1. Combine rice, water, and 1/4 cup mango nectar in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30–45 minutes, or until tender. Drain, if needed, and cool.
2. Place chicken in large serving bowl. Add remaining 1/2 cup mango nectar and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and toss to mix. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in diced mango and next five ingredients (green onion through oil) and toss gently to mix. Add salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and pine nuts and toss. Stir in 2 cups cooled rice (reserve remainder for another use). Divide mixture among four plates and serve.
PER SERVING: 309 cal, 32% fat cal, 17g fat, 2g sat fat, 48mg chol, 24g protein, 56g carb, 4g fiber, 337mg sodium