Serves 4 / Farro, an ancient wheat used in northern Italian cuisine, has a chewy texture and pleasant, nutty flavor. Although it does well on its own in any dish, it combines nicely with buckwheat, a whole protein. Use blood oranges when available.
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup fresh blood-orange juice (or other orange)
1½ tablespoons grated orange zest
1¼ teaspoons salt, divided
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup farro
½ cup whole buckwheat
2 fennel bulbs, with fronds
1/2 red onion (about 1 1/2 ounces), thinly sliced
1 bunch arugula (about 4 ounces leaves), washed and dried
1. In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup oil, orange juice and zest, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper until emulsified. Set aside.
2. Bring 2 cups water and ½ teaspoon salt to a boil; add farro, return to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20–30 minutes, until just tender. Drain thoroughly and immediately add to orange dressing, stirring. Prepare a second pot with 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to boil, add buckwheat, reduce to simmer, and cook for 5–10 minutes, until just tender (no need to cover). Drain thoroughly and stir into farro.
3. While grains cook, cut stalks and fronds off fennel bulbs; discard stalks, but wash, dry, and coarsely chop fronds. Add to farro mixture.
4. Preheat a gas or stove-top grill. Halve fennel bulbs lengthwise and pare out cores, keeping bulbs intact. Brush cut sides with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, cut side down, for 3–5 minutes, until nicely marked and very slightly tender. The goal is to acquire a grilled flavor, but not to cook through. Remove to a cutting board and slice thinly across the grain. Add to farro, along with onion. Stir well and let sit 5–10 minutes, allowing flavors to blend. (Excess dressing will pool at the bottom.)
5. Drain excess dressing from farro into a second bowl. Add arugula and toss. Divide among four plates. Spoon farro mixture atop greens and serve.
PER SERVING: 455 cal, 30g fat (22g mono, 4g poly, 4g sat), 0mg chol, 7g protein, 41g carb, 8g fiber, 320mg sodium