Assemble this a day early to let flavors marry. Make and serve in a clear plastic or glass container with a tight lid, so you can turn the dish over to distribute the dressing and so diners can see the colorful layers.
24-Hour Layered Bean Salad
- 1 19-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only), divided
- 1 19-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups grated carrots about 2 large carrots
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach, washed and dried
- In a 10-cup container with a tight-fitting lid, layer salad ingredients as follows: garbanzo beans, half of the scallions, cannellini beans, grated carrots, edamame, remaining scallions, and halved tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour over salad. Top with spinach leaves, press down, and cover. Refrigerate overnight, turning container over occasionally to distribute dressing.