Vegetarian; includes vegan option & gluten-free option
Stealth add-ins such as miso and soy sauce add umami depth to this plant-based riff on shepherd’s pie that is sure to leave everyone around the table searching for the like button—even the most devout carnivores. Plus, Mashed Potato Tempeh Pie is the perfect make-ahead dish; simply reheat in the oven shortly before serving
If you need to turn this sweet potato pie into a vegan-friendly dish, use a dairy-free butter alternative and try this Parmesan alternative: in bowl, stir together 1/2 cup hemp hearts; 1/4 cup nutritional yeast; 1/2 tsp garlic powder; 1/2 tsp onion powder; and 1/2 tsp salt.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 3 large) peeled and diced
- 1/3 cups grated Parmesan cheese plus more for topping
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter or dairy free butter
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or sunflower oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2-8 oz pkgs tempeh crumbled, gluten free if desired
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup cooked green or black lentils
- 2 tbsp white or yellow miso gluten free if desired
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- In steamer basket set over 1 inch of water, place sweet potato and steam until very tender, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can boil potato cubes until tender. Mash potato with Parmesan cheese, butter, rosemary, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F and grease 11 x 8 in casserole pan.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion and heat for 5 minutes. Add carrot and heat for 3 minutes. Place mushrooms and garlic in pan; heat for 3 minutes. Add tempeh and heat for 3 minutes. Place green peas and tomato paste in pan; heat for 1 minute. Stir in cooked lentils, miso, cider vinegar, soy sauce, and thyme. Place tempeh mixture in greased casserole pan and spread mashed sweet potato mixture over top. Sprinkle some additional grated Parmesan overtop. Bake for 30 minutes.
Per serving: 529 calories; 31 g protein; 16 g total fat (6 g sat. fat); 69 g total carbohydrates (12 g sugars, 14 g fiber); 613 mg sodium