This speedy yet versatile Warm Couscous and Spinach Salad with Grilled Prawns can be on the table in 15 minutes. Lemony fresh and full of mint, this dish is “pucker up” tasty. You can also easily add grilled asparagus or broccolini to up the greens quotient.
Leave out the prawns and instead top this salad with jammy eggs and crumbled goat cheese. Jazz it up with a little more za’atar spice too.
Warm Couscous and Spinach Salad with Grilled Prawns
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 1 1/4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 lb prawn tail on, peeled and deveined
- 3 tsp za'atar spice divided
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt plus extra
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves washed
- 1 cup Fresh mint leaves plus extra
- 4 whole green onions sliced
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios toasted and chopped
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In heavy saucepan, heat 1 tsp oil over medium-high heat. Add couscous and toast in hot oil, stirring often, until slightly golden, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add stock (carefully, as it will splatter) and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 9 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 3 minutes.
- In bowl, place prawns and 2 tsp oil. Toss to coat. Spread out on baking sheet and sprinkle with 2 tsp za'atar spice. Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes, just until they begin to curl. Remove from oven and set aside, as they will continue to cook.
- In large bowl, combine remaining 3 Tbsp oil, remaining 1 tsp za'atar spice, lemon juice, and salt. Whisk to blend. Add spinach, mint, and green onions. Scatter warm cooked couscous over top. Gently toss greens and couscous together to blend evenly. Season to taste. Transfer to large serving platter and tumble prawns and pistachios over top. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and additional fresh mint.
Per serving: 283 calories; 13 g protein; 13 g total fat (2 g sat. fat); 28 g total carbohydrates (1 g sugars, 3 g fiber); 215 mg sodium