Cauliflower might not be the first thing that comes to mind when deciding what to whip up for breakfast. But it should be! Reminiscent of oatmeal, these Cauliflower Breakfast Bowls are sure to get your day started off on the right foot.
Cauliflower Breakfast Bowls
- 2 small apples, preferably Pink Lady or Honeycrisp
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Core one of the apples and cut into 8 wedges.
- In frying pan, melt oil over medium-high heat. Add apple wedges and sauté until tender and starting to caramelize, about 2 minutes. Pour 1 tsp (5 mL) maple syrup over apples and let syrup reduce for 30 seconds. Remove frying pan from heat and set aside.
- In food processor fitted with steel blade attachment, place cauliflower and pulse until consistency of rice.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, place 2 cups (500 mL) cauliflower rice (reserving rest for another use) and almond milk. Bring to a simmer and stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and remaining 2 tsp (10 mL) maple syrup. Cover and cook, stirring often, for 6 minutes. Meanwhile, finely grate second apple. Stir shredded apple into cauliflower mixture and continue to cook, stirring often, until cauliflower is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide cauliflower mixture into 2 bowls and top with caramelized apple wedges, walnuts, and pomegranate seeds.
Each serving contains: 219 calories; 5 g protein; 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 39 g total carbohydrates (26 g sugars, 9 g fibre); 158 mg sodium