A nutritious starter food—though it’s tasty enough for the whole family—that’s packed with beta-carotene and other vitamins. Try the dark-skinned variety of sweet potato (often mislabeled as yams), which are even sweeter than the ivory-fleshed kind.
Sweet Potato-Carrot Mash
- 1 pound sweet potato (about 1 large potato), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup hot milk
- 1/2 small pear, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
- Pinch of salt optional
- Steam sweet potato and carrot chunks until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to food processor or blender. Add hot milk and purée. Add pear, orange juice, butter, and salt, if using. Purée until very smooth.