Cornbread stuffing is at the heart of every Southern Thanksgiving celebration. For a cleaner, lighter stuffing, we've replaced the traditional turkey giblets with a variety of herbs that are stronger tasting than usual. We've also added carrots for a new dimension of vibrant color.
Southern-Style Cornbread Stuffing
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons dried herbs mix 1/4 cup each of rubbed sage, marjoram, thyme and rosemary with 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 cup water
- Quick Cornbread see recipe below
- 1 cup finely minced parsley
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic in oil for about 2 minutes. One at a time, add celery, carrots, salt, herbs, tamari and water. Let simmer for several minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, crumble one recipe of the Quick Cornbread and add parsley. Mix the sautéed vegetables and herbs with cornbread and parsley. Bake stuffing in an oiled 9" x 13" baking pan in a 350°F oven for 25 minutes.