This gluten-free, nutrient-rich bread—excellent for breakfast or sandwiches—tastes even better toasted.
Hearty Cereal Bread
- 1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon natural cane sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or nondairy butter substitute
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 1/4 cups GF Flour Mixture (see below)
- 1/4 cup (40 grams) teff flour brown or ivory
- 2/3 cup (96 grams) dry (powdered) milk or nondairy substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup (55 grams) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- GF FLOUR MIXTURE
- 1 1/2 cups (204 grams) sorghum flour
- 1 1/2 cups (288 grams) potato starch
- 1 cup (120 grams) tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup (58 grams) almond flour or corn flour
- Combine hot cereal mix and 1 cup water. Cook about 6-8 minutes in microwave; set aside to cool.
- Stir together 1/2 cup warm water (100˚-110˚), yeast, and cane sugar. Let sit until frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup water, butter, and molasses in a glass measuring cup. Heat in microwave until butter melts. Set aside to cool to lukewarm (100˚-110˚; too hot will kill the yeast).
- Combine GF flour mixture, teff flour, dry milk, salt, xanthan gum, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl; mix well with flat beater. One at a time and beating well after each, add foamy yeast mixture, molasses mixture, cooled cooked cereal, and eggs. (If cereal is too stiff after cooling, mix in some molasses mixture before adding to the batter.) Dough will be very sticky.
- Coat two 9x5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray. Spoon dough into pans. Cover with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Bake loaves for 25-30 minutes. Test loaves with a toothpick; if sticky, bake longer. Cool on rack.
Hearty Cereal Bread
Amount Per Serving
Calories 66 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2g 3%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Cholesterol 18mg 6%
Sodium 132mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 10g 3%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 2g 4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
YIELD: 2 loaves
PER SERVING: 66 cal, 2g fat (1g mono, 0g poly, 1g sat), 18mg chol, 2g protein, 10g carb, 1g fiber, 132mg sodium