The brown rice lends a hearty texture to this traditional black bean soup recipe.
Cuban Black Bean & Rice Soup
- 4 1/2 quarts water
- 12 ounces black beans picked over
- 2 tablespoons olive oil optional
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes in juice crushed with your hands
- 1/2 cup brown rice uncooked
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a large covered pot. Add beans, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, bay leaf and parsley. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Add rice, salt and pepper. Lower heat and simmer 1 hour, stirring frequently. Stir in tomatoes and cook 30 minutes or until beans are soft. Season to taste.