Reminiscent of enchiladas, these eggs get their kick from chipotle chilies canned with a spicy adobo sauce, available in most groceries. Serve with a tomato-cucumber salad.
Chipotle Huevos Rancheros
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream plus additional for garnish
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle chili
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Prepared salsa for garnish
- Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º. In a medium pan, heat oil and sauté onion and green pepper until tender, 3–4 minutes. In a medium bowl, beat together 2 eggs, flour, sour cream, chipotle chili, and adobo sauce. Stir in cheese, beans, cilantro, and cooked vegetables.
- Spray the bottom of a 1-quart glass pie dish with nonstick cooking spray and layer with corn tortillas, overlapping. Pour egg mixture over tortillas and bake for 25 minutes, until eggs are set.
- About 5 minutes before pie is done, fry remaining 4 eggs in 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat, until set. Remove pie from oven and top with fried eggs. Cut into wedges and serve hot, garnished with sour cream, salsa, and fresh cilantro.