Spaghetti squash, coconut oil and a blend of cheeses combine to make delicious fritters that kids and adults alike will love. Serve them as a savory appetizer during the fall and winter months.
(gluten free, vegetarian, staff favorite)
Spaghetti Squash Fritters
- 1 medium (3-4 pounds) spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil plus extra
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh mixed herbs, such as chives, thyme, sage and/or parsley
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese (about ⅔ cup)
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour (TRY: Cup4Cup flour, brown rice flour or oat flour)
- ½ cup each applesauce and sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds. Rub a little coconut oil over cut side of squash halves. Place squash, cut side down, on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Cover loosely with aluminum foil, and bake for 40 minutes or until you can easily pierce squash with a fork. Remove from oven, remove foil and let squash cool slightly. Using a fork, scrape out squash flesh, and place in a colander over the sink or a bowl to drain. Once squash has cooled completely, gently squeeze all excess liquid. Measure out about 4 cups of squash.
- Beat egg in a large bowl. Add drained squash, herbs, Parmesan, goat cheese, minced garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper; mix by hand until well incorporated. Add flour, and mix again with hands or tongs until flour is interspersed. (TIP: If batter is a little too wet, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. If batter is too dry or loose, add a little water, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
- Portion mixture into 16 small piles. Roll each pile in a ball about 1½ inches in diameter; place on a parchment-lined baking sheet or plates. Repeat with remaining piles. The batter will be a bit loose but will firm up once cooked.
- Once all the fritters are formed, heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook a few fritters at a time until light golden brown on one side, about 4–5 minutes, gently flattening with a spatula. Flip fritters, and cook on other side until golden brown, about 4–5 minutes more.
- Place fritters on a plate, and sprinkle with more herbs, if desired. Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream as toppings.
Spaghetti Squash Fritters
Amount Per Serving
Calories 1104 Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5g 8%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Cholesterol 23mg 8%
Sodium 291mg 12%
Total Carbohydrates 11g 4%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 4g 8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING (1 fritter): 104 cal, 5g fat (1g mono, 0g poly, 3g sat), 23mg chol, 291mg sodium, 11g carb (1g fiber, 3g sugars), 4g protein