Serve this recipe as a creative salad course, or serve open-faced as appetizers. If serving as appetizers, top beet rounds and cheese with a few arugula leaves and drizzle with dressing. This recipe makes more vegan cheese than you’ll use. Store extra in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. If your beet rounds are especially large, add another teaspoon of vegan cheese per round.
Beet “Carpaccio” Salad
- 2 large red or yellow beets, scrubbed
- FOR THE RAW VEGAN CHEESE:
- 1½ cups raw cashews, soaked at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons raw coconut oil, melted over low heat Try: Artisana Organics
- ¾ cup purified water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE HERB DRESSING:
- ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup chopped, fresh, mixed herbs parsley, basil, thyme
- 1 small shallot, halved
- ¾ cup cold-pressed olive oil
- Pinch each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 4 ounces arugula
- Using a mandolin, slice unpeeled beets on the thinnest setting. Trim off edges with a paring knife. (Note: This method is less messy than peeling beets prior to slicing.)
- Prepare cheese: Drain soaked nuts. In a food processor or high-speed blender, combine cashews, 1 tablespoon vinegar, lemon juice, melted coconut oil, water and garlic; process until smooth. Stir in chives, parsley and salt. Refrigerate cheese until ready to assemble recipe. Makes 1¾ cups vegan cheese.
- Make dressing: In a food processor or blender, combine ¼ cup vinegar, herbs and shallot; blend until pureed. Continue to blend while adding oil in a thin, steady stream. Season with salt and pepper. Makes 1 cup of dressing.
- To assemble carpaccio: Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons of the vegan cheese in the center of half of the beet slices. Top with another beet slice. Place four beet sandwiches on a plate. Place a small pile of arugula on each plate and drizzle generously with herb dressing.
Beet “Carpaccio” Salad
Amount Per Serving
Calories 331 Calories from Fat 288
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32g 49%
Saturated Fat 7g 35%
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 22g
Sodium 160mg 7%
Total Carbohydrates 7g 2%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 3g 6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING (4 beet rounds, about ½ cup arugula and 3 tablespoons dressing): 331 cal, 32g fat (22g mono, 4g poly, 7g sat), 0mg chol, 160mg sodium, 7g carb (2g fiber, 3g sugars), 3g protein