This recipe is based on acclaimed chef Todd English's Asparagus Soup, which he tops with slightly melted feta cheese. You can also substitute broccoli for the asparagus.
- 4 quarts water
- 2 pounds asparagus
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium-size waxy potato, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. At the base, cut off 2 inches of the asparagus and discard. Chop off asparagus tips and reserve. Slice remaining stalks into 1-inch pieces.
- Submerge tips in boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove tips and immediately plunge into a bowl of ice water; drain. Add stalk pieces to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes, until they turn bright green. Plunge into a bowl of ice water; drain.
- In a medium-size skillet, melt butter and oil. Add the onion, garlic, and potato and cook until the onions turn translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the asparagus stalks, broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In batches, purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Pour soup into a pot and reheat. Add the asparagus tips and milk, and season with salt and pepper.
Amount Per Serving
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING: Calories 153,Fat 8,Perfat 41,Cholesterol 8,Carbo 16,Protein 9