Follow these steps for foolproof dressing every time; once you're comfortable with the basic approach, modify it using ingredients you have on hand. Serve over any kind of mixed greens.
- Oil is the foundation of a great dressing. Choose one with a fresh, pleasant fragrance. Pour in a jar with a secure lid.
- To two parts oil, add about one part acidic liquid, such as vinegar or citrus juice. A good vinegar will never let you down; experiment with balsamic, raw apple cider, champagne, umeboshi, fruit-flavored, tarragon, or sherry vinegars.
- If you like, add an emulsifier, such as a dollop of mustard or honey. Optional: Add herbs, ginger, garlic, or other seasonings, plus a generous pinch of sea salt and a little pepper.
- Shake or whisk until blended; taste and adjust sweetness or tartness.
- Refrigerate. Dressing elements may separate over time; just shake again before serving. On salads, start with less dressing than you think you’ll need (you can always add more) before tossing gently.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 105 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10g 15%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Sodium 70mg 3%
Total Carbohydrates 3g 1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING (1 tablespoon): 105 cal, 10g fat (7g mono, 1g poly, 1g sat), 0mg chol, 0g protein, 3g carb, 0g fiber, 70mg sodium