Serves 12 / In this lightened but ultrarich gelato, nonfat and low-fat milk replace whole milk. Prep tip: For intense vanilla flavor, use a whole vanilla bean (about 6 inches long) and scrape out the seeds after warming in the milk mixture. Serving tip: Top with summer berries and a dollop of Dark Chocolate Sauce.
- ⅔ cup granulated maple sugar, maple flakes, or natural cane sugar
- ⅓ cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated nonfat milk
- 1½ cups low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 1 5- to 6-inch strip lemon peel
- 1 3- to 6-inch vanilla bean, slit lengthwise
- 4 egg yolks
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine first 6 ingredients (sugar through vanilla bean). Whisk over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks. Add a bit of the warm milk mixture, stir, then return mixture to pan. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until mixture thickens somewhat (it should coat the back of a spoon in a thin layer), about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; discard lemon peel and vanilla bean. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Once cold, pour mixture into an ice-cream maker and freeze for 30 minutes. (If it's still too soft, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze; let stand at room temperature 5-10 minutes before serving.)
PER SERVING: 96 cal, 18% fat cal, 2g fat, 1g sat fat, 73mg chol, 6g protein, 14g carb, 0g fiber, 72mg sodium