Fresh ginger, baby bok choy, dry-roasted edamame and nutritious soba noodles make these vegan Buddha Bowls a winner for lunch or dinner.
Soy-Soba Buddha Bowls
- 1 (12- to 18-ounce) package firm or extra-firm water-packed tofu
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallots
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce organic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 heads baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
- 1 yellow bell pepper; stemmed, quartered and seeded
- 4 ounces dried soba noodles
- ½ cup coarsely shredded carrot
- ½ cup dry-roasted edamame
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Drain tofu; pat dry. Cut tofu into 1-inch slices; place in a rectangular baking dish. In a small bowl combine shallots, 3 tablespoons sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and crushed red pepper. Set aside 2 tablespoons of mixture. Spoon half of remaining mixture over tofu; carefully flip slices and spoon remaining mixture over tofu. Cover and chill 1–4 hours.
- Brush bok choy halves with remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Preheat grill to medium heat. Place tofu slices on grill rack directly over heat (reserve marinade in dish). Add bok choy and bell pepper to grill. Grill bok choy 3–5 minutes or until wilted, turning once. Grill tofu 5–10 minutes or until nice grill marks appear, carefully turning once halfway through. Grill pepper quarters 10–12 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning once. Remove food from grill when done.
- Meanwhile, cook soba noodles according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water. For dressing, combine leftover marinade from tofu dish with reserved 2 tablespoons marinade. Whisk in rice vinegar and agave nectar. Toss 3 tablespoons dressing with noodles.
- Thinly slice grilled tofu, pepper quarters and bok choy. Add grilled vegetables, carrots and edamame to bowls; toss to incorporate. Divide noodle mixture and grilled tofu among four serving bowls. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon dressing over each bowl. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Soy-Soba Buddha Bowls
Amount Per Serving
Calories 393 Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17g 26%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Sodium 673mg 28%
Total Carbohydrates 42g 14%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Protein 19g 38%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING (2 cups): 393 cal, 17g fat (6g mono, 7g poly, 4g sat), 0mg chol, 673mg sodium, 42g carb (6g fiber, 9g sugars), 19g protein