Whether you’re making a hearty vegetarian chili or enjoying some good ’ol BBQ, a few simple steps will ensure your tofu is chewy and flavorful.
1. Select firm or extra-firm tofu (not silken).
2. Cut the block of tofu lengthwise.
3. Squeeze out excess moisture so that tofu absorbs more flavors. Wrap in a dishtowel and place between two plates with a heavy object on top, then let sit for an hour.
4. For a chewier texture, use tofu that has been frozen for at least 48 hours and thawed in the refrigerator for about 24 hours.
5. Once tofu has been frozen and thawed, slice and add to stir-fry, marinate and grill, or crumble into your favorite chili recipe. Or freeze and then use a cheese grater to make chunks.