Serves 6 / Prep tips: Combine lettuces and fennel in a salad bowl, cover with damp paper towels, and refrigerate up to three hours. Add sliced pears, pine nuts, and dressing just before serving.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups torn romaine hearts
- 2 cups torn butter lettuce
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 medium red pears, cored and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Whisk olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, and pepper until emulsified. Set aside.
- Place lettuces in a large salad bowl. Scatter with fennel, pear, and pine nuts. Drizzle with about half of the dressing, or to taste, and toss. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING: 116 cal, 46% fat cal, 7g fat, 1g sat fat, 0mg chol, 2g protein, 15g carb, 5g fiber, 24mg sodium