This soup delivers live probiotics through miso, plus valuable minerals from nori, a dried seaweed.
Ingredient tips: Ramps, or very young leeks, are one of spring's first green foods; if you can't find them, substitute green onion or chives. Look for spicy nori strips or sheets in the Asian foods section.
- 2 ounches fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 ounces soft tofu cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 ounce tender ramps or green garlic (or 1 green onion) cut into small slivers
- 2 1/2 ounces baby spinach
- 1/3 cup chickpea miso paste
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 ounce spicy nori cut into strips
- Remove stems from mushrooms and discard. Slice caps.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 cup water and broth; add mushrooms, onion, carrot, cooked rice, and tofu. Bring to a low boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add ramps or green garlic and spinach; stir until spinach begins to wilt.
- Combine miso with warm water, stirring to dissolve all lumps. Add to soup and mix. Serve in large soup bowls, topped with nori strips.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Sodium 638mg 27%
Total Carbohydrates 30g 10%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Protein 7g 14%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING: 146 cal, 9% fat cal, 2g fat, 0g sat fat, 0mg chol, 7g protein, 30g carb, 6g fiber, 638mg sodium