Vegan Mongolian Beef and Rice
FOR THE STIR-FRY SAUCE
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon plus ¾ teaspoon cornstarch
FOR THE STIR-FRY
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 pound packaged seitan strips, drained
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (plus more if needed)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 scallions, sliced
- Sesame seeds
- 2 cups cooked rice (from 1 cup dry rice)
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the sauce ingredients; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together soy sauce and ice water. Toss seitan strips in mixture, and allow to sit 10 minutes. Drain seitan, and reserve liquid mixture.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat avocado oil over medium-high. Add seitan, being sure not to overcrowd the skillet, and cook 4 minutes per side. Remove seitan from skillet, and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and add a splash of oil if skillet is dry. Cook garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir the stir-fry sauce and add sauce and scallions to skillet. Cook until sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. If pan looks dry, add some of the reserved liquid from step 2. Toss in seitan and stir to coat with sauce. Serve with cooked rice, and garnish with sesame seeds and additional sliced scallions.