Warming spices and chocolate transform this tomato soup into a memorable meal.
Tomato Chocolate Soup
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 ripe pear chopped
- 2 oz unsweetened dark chocolate finely chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced for garnish
- In stockpot over medium-high, heat oil. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, carrot, celery, and sun-dried tomatoes. Continue to cook, stirring often, until carrots have softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, coriander, smoked paprika, and cocoa powder. Cook for 1 minute to toast spices before adding white wine. Cook, stirring constantly, until white wine has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes, water, and pear. Bring soup to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let soup simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Remove stockpot from heat and stir in unsweetened chocolate until chocolate is fully melted and well incorporated into the soup.
- Working in batches, in blender, blend soup until smooth. Return to clean stockpot over low heat to warm gently.
- To serve, divide soup among serving bowls and garnish with diced avocado and a dusting of cocoa powder, if desired. Enjoy while warm.
Per serving: 274 calories; 5 g protein; 18 g total fat (6 g sat. fat); 26 g total carbohydrates (9 g sugars, 9 g fiber); 171 mg sodium
Try taking this soup recipe as a base idea and making it your own by switching out the can of diced tomatoes for another unique complementary chocolate pairing such as carrots or beets. Just note that you’ll need to add some extra water, and cooking time will take longer.