A festival of texture, color, and taste. Customize with your favorite fresh toppings. We suggest pickled red onions (see below)!
Pickled Red Onions
Cut 1 red onion in half and remove skin. Cut halves to make quarters. Cut quarters into very thin slices. Place in a glass bowl; add 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir and let sit for 2 hours at room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tinga Poblana Tostadas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound bulk chorizo sausage
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from can of chipotle chiles
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can organic fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 3-4 cups shredded deli rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans, heated
- 12 tostada shells
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- Sour cream, sliced avocado, and/or pickled red onion, for garnish
- In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Cook sausage in oil about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned, breaking up large clumps. Add onion and garlic; cook about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until garlic begins to turn golden.
- Add tomato paste, chipotle chiles, adobo sauce, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and tomatoes; stir until combined. Stir in chicken and broth. Heat to simmering. Cook uncovered 20-30 minutes, until liquid is reduced and mixture is thickened. Remove bay leaves.
- To serve, heat tostada shells as directed on package. Spread tostadas with warmed refried beans. Top with chicken mixture (tinga) and tomato slices. Garnish with desired toppings.
Tinga Poblana Tostadas
Amount Per Serving
Calories 287 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g 22%
Saturated Fat 5g 25%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Cholesterol 42mg 14%
Sodium 671mg 28%
Total Carbohydrates 20g 7%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Protein 18g 36%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING (2 tostadas): 287 cal, 14g fat (6g mono, 2g poly, 5g sat), 42mg chol, 671mg sodium, 20g carb (4g fiber, 2g sugars), 18g protein