This may look complicated, but it’s truly quick and easy.
The only step that takes forethought (besides the shopping) is soaking the almonds overnight. The rest is a breeze, and it’s a fun snack, even for kids.
Staff Favorite, Gluten Free, Vegan
Swiss Chard Raw Wrap
- 2/3 cups almonds soaked overnight in 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flaxseed oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 6 teaspoons fresh lime juice divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 2 ripe avocados peeled and pitted
- 3 carrots grated
- 2 red bell peppers cut into thin strips
- 1 bunch watercress upper stems and leaves only
- 4 ounces pea shoots or daikon radish sprouts or both
- 4 ounces bean sprouts
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced on a sharp diagonal
- 8 large very fresh Swiss chard leaves cut in half lengthwise and center rib removed
- Drain almonds thoroughly and place in a food processor, along with oil, basil, 4 teaspoons lime juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Process until well chopped and nearly smooth. Scrape into a small bowl, cover, and set aside.
- Place avocado flesh in a bowl, along with remaining 2 teaspoons lime juice and salt; mash to a smooth purée. Cover and set aside.
- Place grated carrot, red bell pepper, watercress, pea shoots or radish sprouts, bean sprouts, and scallions separately on a platter. Place chard leaves on a second platter. Serve with almond and avocado mixtures. Invite everyone to spread a small amount of avocado mixture on the underside of a Swiss chard leaf, place a nugget of almond mixture at one end, and then add small amounts of whichever vegetable fillings they choose; roll up and eat.
Swiss Chard Raw Wrap
Amount Per Serving
Calories 211 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12g 18%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Sodium 269mg 11%
Total Carbohydrates 20g 7%
Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
Protein 9g 18%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING: 211 cal, 12g fat (7g mono, 4g poly, 1g sat), 0mg chol, 9g protein, 20g carb, 8g fiber, 269mg sodium