This Roasted Tomato Soup with Parmesan Crisps is comfort food taken to new heights. A basic tomato soup has plenty of umami, but when you use roasted tomatoes, dried tomatoes, a whisper of soy sauce, and a crispy Parmesan accompaniment, each spoonful delivers considerably more. You can also press the easy button and garnish with a simple dusting of grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese.
Tomatoes, particularly the sun-dried variety, are laced with lycopene, an antioxidant linked to improved brain functioning.
Roasted Tomato Soup with Parmesan Crisps
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes not oil packed
- 1 large red bell pepper quartered
- 1 inch medium yellow onion peeled and sliced into 1wedges
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 3 whole garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tsp grapeseed oil or sunflower oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- In bowl, place sun-dried tomatoes and cover with 2 cups hot water; let soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 F. Toss bell pepper, onion, grape tomatoes, and garlic cloves with oil. Spread out on rimmed baking sheet and roast until bell pepper and tomatoes are softened and onion has darkened, about 25 minutes. In blender container, place roasted vegetables, sun-dried tomatoes, soaking liquid, 2 cups water, soy sauce, and paprika; blend until smooth.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 F. In small bowl, stir together Parmesan, lemon zest, and thyme. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Mound tablespoonfuls of cheese at least 2 inches apart onto baking sheet and gently flatten out mounds with the back of a spoon, making sure rounds are not touching each other. Bake until cheese looks melted and golden around edges, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn cheese. Remove from oven; do not disturb until completely cooled and firm to the touch, about 20 minutes. Using thin spatula or knife, carefully lift crackers from baking sheet.
- If needed, reheat soup in saucepan. Divide soup among serving bowls and serve with Parmesan crisps.
Each serving contains: 166 calories; 11 g protein; 9 g total fat (4 g sat. fat); 14 g total carbohydrates (8 g sugars, 3 g fiber); 642 mg sodium