Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup with Paprika-Rubbed Croutons
FOR THE FRESH SALSA TOPPER
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
FOR THE PAPRIKA CROUTONS
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 6 ounces sourdough bread or baguette, cubed
FOR THE SOUP
- 2 red bell peppers, stems and seeds removed, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Make the salsa topping: Combine Roma tomatoes, red onion, parsley, basil, red wine vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Make the croutons: Preheat oven to 375°, and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix olive oil and paprika in a small bowl. Toss bread cubes in a medium bowl with olive oil mixture. Spread onto prepared baking sheet; bake for 15–20 minutes, turning once halfway through, until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°. Place red bell pepper and onion slices onto a rimmed baking sheet, toss with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 20–22 minutes or until soft and just starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, add garlic, tomatoes, beans and broth to a large pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add roasted peppers and onions, and stir to combine.
- Purée with an immersion blender, or let cool slightly and use a traditional blender. Serve warm, topped with croutons and salsa.