This Tuscan bread-and-veggie soup is comfort food at its best.
- 8 cups (1-inch) bread cubes from 1 loaf ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped 1 cup
- 2 carrots, chopped 1 cup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oven to 375°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss bread with oil; bake 15 minutes, stirring halfway through, until golden.
- Heat a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add pancetta; cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until crispy. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; heat 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes with juice, broth, salt, and pepper flakes; bring to a simmer. Stir in kale and beans; cook 5-7 minutes or until kale is tender.
- To serve, divide bread among bowls; ladle soup over top.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 327 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9g 14%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Cholesterol 7mg 2%
Sodium 790mg 33%
Total Carbohydrates 48g 16%
Dietary Fiber 7g 28%
Protein 13g 26%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING: 327 cal, 9g fat (4g mono, 2g poly, 3g sat), 7mg chol, 790mg sodium, 48g carb (7g fiber, 9g sugars), 13g protein