This amazing confection rivals any "regular" cake for rich taste and moist texture. If you're making a round layer cake, it helps to freeze the delicate layers before frosting. The unfrosted cake keeps well in the refrigerator for up to one week in a sealed container or up to one month frozen. You can also bake the enter batter in a single 9×13-inch pan, which is easier to frost. The frosting recipe makes enough for one two-layer cake; you won't need as much for a single-layer rectangular cake.
Quinoa Chocolate Cake
- 2/3 cup quinoa well washed
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups butter (2 1/2 sticks) room temperature
- 3 3/4 cups (450 grams) powdered sugar, sifted plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- A little milk if needed to thin
- In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave covered saucepan on burner for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Lightly grease two 8-inch round or square cake pans. Line bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a blender or food processor, blend milk, eggs, and vanilla. Add 2 cups cooked quinoa and butter; blend until very smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add to quinoa mixture and mix well.
- Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake on center oven rack for 40-45 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Turn cakes out of pans very gently and allow to cool completely on racks. If time allows, freeze layers before frosting.
- For frosting, beat butter, sugar, and cocoa until smooth; beat in vanilla, plus milk if needed for consistency. Completely frost one layer, carefully place second layer on top, and frost all over.
Quinoa Chocolate Cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories 445 Calories from Fat 216
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24g 37%
Saturated Fat 16g 80%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Cholesterol 170mg 57%
Sodium 170mg 7%
Total Carbohydrates 54g 18%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 4g 8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING (with frosting): 445 cal, 24g fat (7g mono, 1g poly, 16g sat), 170mg chol, 4g protein, 54g carb, 2g fiber, 170mg sodium