The yogurt marinade makes the meat wonderfully tender, moist, and healthy. Serve with toasted pita chips to scoop up any extra sauce.
- 32 ounces low-fat, nonfat, or whole-milk plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2-3 teaspoons salt to taste
- 1 whole chicken, cut up and skinned about 4 pounds
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1-4 chopped jalapeño peppers to taste
- 1 onion, halved and cut into thick semicircles
- In a large bowl, mix together yogurt, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, cumin, allspice, and salt. Add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for 2–4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat broiler. Add tomato, bell pepper, jalapeños, and onion to sauce with chicken; toss to coat. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place chicken pieces and vegetables on pan, pouring extra sauce over all.
- Broil about 6 inches from heat, watching carefully and turning every 10–15 minutes, for 45–60 minutes. At each flip, chicken should be slightly charred but not blackened. Baste chicken with sauce at every flip.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving platter and serve.
Amount Per Serving
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
|Nutrition Facts Per Serving:|
|Calories: 336 calories|
|% fat calories: 22|
|Saturated Fat: 3g|