These burgers are delicious served with a side of stir-fried vegetables or open-face on rice cakes with sweet-and-sour sauce.
Oriental Bean Cakes
- 1 cup dried adzuki beans
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup scallions minced
- 1/2 cup unseasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Pick over beans and rice to remove any debris and rinse well. Combine beans and rice in a pressure cooker with water, 1 teaspoon five-spice powder and ginger. Bring to a boil and skim foam that rises to surface. Remove cooker from heat and secure lid in place. Return cooker to heat and bring to high pressure. Cook 20 minutes
- Place cooker in sink and run cold water over top to release pressure. Remove lid and stir in remaining five spice powder, tamari, cayenne, scallions, bread crumbs and red pepper.
- When cool enough to handle, form bean mixture into patties. Sprinkle sesame seeds over top and place on nonstick baking sheet. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake bean cakes until hot in center, about 15 minutes.
Note: To make Oriental Bean Cakes in a hurry, skip Step 1 and add seasonings and bread crumbs to 2 cups canned adzuki beans and 1 1/2 cups leftover cooked brown rice. Proceed with Step 3.