This dish is simple to put together. Just pop it into the oven, and the kitchen smells wonderful while it cooks. If root vegetables differ in size, cut them into 1-inch pieces for even cooking.
Organic Roasted Chicken with Seasonal Vegetables
- 1 organic chicken or duck, cut up into 6 to 8 pieces or use chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8 baby turnips, trimmed and cut into quarters
- 8 (about 1/2 pound) beets or parsnips, peeled and quartered
- 8 baby potatoes
- 4 shallots, peeled and separated or 2 onions, quartered
- 2-4 heads garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons mixed chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, or parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock or white wine
- Parsley leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Put chicken, vegetables, shallots, garlic, and 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl. Season with chopped herbs, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Oil a 9x14-inch roasting pan with-1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Remove chicken pieces from bowl and place in the baking dish. Cover with-1/2 cup chicken stock or wine. Roast chicken for 10 minutes.
- Add the seasoned vegetables and remaining chicken stock or white wine to roasting pan. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until chicken and vegetables are nicely browned and cooked through.
- Place vegetables and chicken on each plate and pour accumulated juices on top. Garnish with parsley leaves.