Jerk Chicken, Rice & Black Bean Bowl with Fried Bananas
FOR THE JERK SEASONING
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
FOR THE BOWL
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups dry brown rice, rinsed
- 2⅓ cups water
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
FOR THE BANANAS
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- In a bowl, combine jerk seasoning ingredients. Place chicken in a glass dish, and rub spice ingredients into chicken. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight to allow flavors to marinate into the chicken.
- Prepare brown rice by bringing rice and water to a boil in a small pot. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and let the rice steam in pot with the lid on for 10 minutes; then fluff with a fork, and toss with ¼ cup cilantro, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, prepare black beans. In a bowl, toss together black beans, mango, remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, scallions, cumin, red pepper flakes and remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Cook chicken 5–7 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked throughout (165° internal temperature). Let rest a few minutes; then slice.
- Wipe out skillet, and return to medium-high heat. Add coconut oil; heat until melted. Fry bananas in oil, 1–2 minutes per side, until golden.
- To assemble bowls, divide rice evenly among bowls and top with mango-bean mixture, sliced chicken and fried bananas.