We never get tired of a good bowl. Here, it’s packed with detoxifying vegetables, whole grains, and skin-saving avocado two ways: in the dressing and in the bowl.
Avocado Green Goddess Chicken Grain Bowls
- 8 skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium tamari
Avocado Green Goddess Sauce
- 1/2 cup oat milk or almond milk more to thin as needed
- 1 cup packed avocado flesh
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro tender stems included
- 1/4 cup Fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 Tbsp fresh dill fronds
- 3 Tbsp minced chives
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp fine-grain salt
- 1/2 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 cups cooked barley (not gluten free) or oat groats (gluten free)
- 4 cups shredded vegetables such as carrot, radicchio, and savoy cabbage
- 4 small (or 2 large) avocados pit removed, peeled, and sliced
- Aleppo-style chili to taste
- Add chicken to large bowl and mix with remaining chicken ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days. Preheat oven to 425 F. Add chicken skin-side up to large baking sheet and roast for 25 to 35 minutes, until flesh is cooked through, juices run clear, and skin is crispy. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- For sauce, add all ingredients to blender in the order listed and purée until smooth, thinning with additional oat milk until a pourable consistency is achieved. Store airtight in glass jar in refrigerator until ready to use.
- To assemble bowls, divide grains, vegetables, and sliced chicken among bowls. Top with sliced avocado, a generous drizzle of sauce, and sprinkle of chili, if using. Serve warm or chilled.
Make this bowl vegan by marinating tofu or tempeh instead of chicken, and roast for 20 minutes less, lining baking sheet with parchment paper first.
Per serving: 590 calories; 26 g protein; 39 g total fat (8 g sat. fat); 39 g total carbohydrates (6 g sugars, 13 g fiber); 681 mg sodium