These small packets combine apples, raisins, and nuts for an ideal lunch-box treat or quick snack. Quantity may vary depending on your cutter size; adjust baking time accordingly.
Honey Apple Hand Pies
- 4 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 6 teaspoons natural cane sugar
- 3/8 teaspoons salt
- 18 (2 1/4 sticks) cold butter, cut into small cubes (refrigerate until ready to use)
- 3 teaspoons vinegar
- 14–16 ½ tablespoons ice-cold water
- 2 Granny Smith apples, finely chopped (no need to peel)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2-3 tablespoons turbinado or sparkling sugar (optional)
- Make dough: Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in half of the butter until mixture is crumbly. Toss in remaining butter; cut in until mixture resembles dime-size pieces. (Work quickly so everything stays cold.) Mix vinegar with about half of the water; stir into flour mixture with a fork. Mix in additional water, a little at a time, until everything becomes moist. Form into ball. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- To make filling: Sauté apples in oil for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add honey, brown sugar, and orange juice; cook for about 3 minutes. Add walnuts, raisins, currants, spices, and salt; cook about 30 seconds. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide dough into two pieces. Roll one piece to 1/16- to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 4- to 4 1/2-inch circles. Repeat with second piece. Collect dough scraps, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- While scrap dough cools, place about 1 tablespoon filling into middle of each already-cut circle. Wet dough edges. Fold top over filling to form a half-circle and crimp edges. Remove dough scraps from fridge, roll out, and cut more circles; top with filling and close up as described.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush over pie tops. Sprinkle with sugar, if using. Bake 20–30 minutes or until golden.
Honey Apple Hand Pies
Amount Per Serving
Calories 134 Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7g 11%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Cholesterol 20mg 7%
Sodium 31mg 1%
Total Carbohydrates 14g 5%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 3g 6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING: 134 cal, 7g fat (2g mono, 1g poly, 4g sat), 20mg chol, 3g protein, 14g carb, 2g fiber, 31mg sodium