Hoisin Jackfruit Lettuce Cups
- 1 (40-ounce) can green jackfruit in water, drained
- 6 tablespoons gluten-free hoisin sauce
- 6 tablespoons vegetable broth
- ¼ cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons water or broth, if needed
- 12 butter lettuce cups (from 1–2 heads)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ½ cucumber, julienned
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Prepare jackfruit by thoroughly rinsing, draining and drying it. Place in a mixing bowl, shred jackfruit with your fingers or two forks, and set aside. (If you use your hands, you can more easily feel the hard parts that need to be removed.)
- In a small bowl, combine hoisin, broth, tamari and rice wine vinegar. In a large saucepan over medium, heat oil. Cook garlic and ginger 1 minute, until fragrant. Add Chinese five-spice powder, and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in jackfruit, and cook for 1 minute; then add hoisin sauce mixture. Season with pepper.
- Simmer mixture gently for 10 minutes, adding 1–2 tablespoons of water if it dries out too quickly. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Serve hoisin jackfruit in lettuce cups, and garnish with green onions, cucumber, sesame seeds and cilantro.