This was inspired by Flea St. chef Mark Stark, who adds sausage to the stuffing and doubles the amount of gorgonzola.
Gorgonzola Apple Bread Stuffing
- 1 small loaf white bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium apple peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 generous tablespoons oregano
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 eggs (or 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg)
- 6 ounces crumbled gorgonzola
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut the bread into cubes and toast on a baking sheet until light brown. When toasted, place in a large mixing bowl. Reduce oven to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, melt the butter and cook the onions, garlic, apples and mushrooms until soft. Add oregano. Add the broth to the pan and turn off heat.
- Whisk the eggs and add them to the pan. Pour the mixture over the bread and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle the gorgonzola over the top, season with salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Place the stuffing in a lightly oiled, heavy baking dish. Bake uncovered for about 3040 minutes or until it puffs at the center and is brown on top.