Making a big batch of hearty granola is a great way to satisfy breakfast and snacking needs and proves endlessly versatile while on the road. Throw in a handful of dark chocolate chips to turn into a trail mix, perfect for keeping hunger at bay while you’re out and about. This granola is also ideal for turning fresh fruit you discover on your travels into a delicious dessert. We’ve used cherries here, but grilled peaches, apricots, blueberries, or any fresh, seasonal bounty would work amazingly well.
To turn your Go-Everywhere Granola into your Go-Everywhere Trail Mix, simply add 1/4 cup mini dairy-free chocolate chips, and hit the trails.
To make the most of a fruitful bounty, and to add an extra dimension of flavor, use a mixture of sour and sweet cherries—and don’t forget to pack a cherry pitter!
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- 2 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup cherries pitted
- 2 tsp mini dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup granola base
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In large bowl, combine oats, almonds, hemp hearts, sesame seeds, salt, and pepper.
- In small bowl, combine maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, cardamom, and cinnamon. Pour wet ingredients over oat mixture and mix until well combined.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spread mixture evenly overtop. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until oats and almonds have turned deep golden brown. Remove baking sheet from oven, add cranberries, and stir occasionally while granola cools completely. Pack granola in sealed container.
- To make crumble, place cherries in appropriately sized cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and granola. Cover and bake in preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes, or over the hot coals of a campfire, until juices are bubbling. Remove cover and bake for a further 5 minutes.
Per serving: 397 calories; 10 g protein; 20 g total fat (8 g sat. fat); 46 g total carbohydrates (29 g sugars, 8 g fiber); 17 mg sodium