In this Tofu Noodle Salad, the tofu is seared over an open flame, turning it meaty and crave-worthy. The crispy edges of the bok choy are also a special treat. For gluten-free noodles, look for soba made with 100 percent buckwheat or use wide brown rice noodles.
Tofu Noodle Salad
- 8 oz dry soba noodles gluten-free, if desired
- 2-12 oz blocks extra-firm tofu
- 3 tsp sesame oil divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 baby bock choy, halved lengthwise
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional) gluten-free, if desired
- 2 tsp sriracha sauce
- 2 tsp raw cane sugar
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium carrots diagonally cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh mint
- 1/3 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- Cook soba noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Build medium-hot fire in charcoal grill or heat gas grill to medium-high and grease grill grate.
- Line cutting board with paper towel. Top with tofu and a couple more sheets of paper towel. Place another cutting board or other flat object on top and press gently to extract excess liquid from tofu. Turn tofu blocks on their sides and slice in half lengthwise.
- Lightly brush tofu with 1/2 tsp sesame oil and season with salt and black pepper, if using. Grill tofu squares until golden and showing grill marks, about 4 minutes per side. Re-move from grill and, when cool enough to handle, slice into 1 inch cubes. Lightly brush bok choy with 1/2 tsp sesame oil. Grill until stalks are tender and leaves begin to darken and turn crispy.
- In small bowl, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce or tamari, remaining 2 tsp sesame oil, fish sauce (if using), sriracha, sugar, shallot, and garlic.
- Divide soba noodles among 4 serving plates and top with carrot, tofu, bok choy, cilantro, mint, and peanuts. Drizzle dressing over top.
Tip: A pressing matter
Pressing out excess water from tofu allows it to get a better sear on the grill—and that means a whole lot more flavor.
Per serving: 611 calories; 41 g protein; 27 g total fat (4 g sat. fat); 55 g total carbohydrates (7 g sugars, 6 g fiber); 638 mg sodium