Garlicky Potato Pizza with Balsamic Glaze
WHOLE-WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH
- 1½ teaspoons yeast
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
FOR THE TOPPINGS
- 1–2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2–3 Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced or shredded; divided
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh basil
- Purchased balsamic glaze
- Combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes or until yeast is puffy. Stir in whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, olive oil, garlic powder and thyme. Bring dough together with your hands, and knead gently for 1 minute. Cover with a towel, and let rest and rise at room temperature at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Sprinkle a 15x10-inch rectangular pan with cornmeal.
- Slice potatoes as thinly as possible using a knife, mandolin, microplane or food processor. Place potatoes in a bowl with 1 teaspoon olive oil and salt; toss and set aside.
- Stretch dough out on a pizza stone or into a large circle or rectangle on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Place remaining olive oil, garlic and pepper in a small bowl. Spread half of olive oil mixture onto dough. Top with 4 ounces of the cheese and the potatoes with slices overlapping slightly all the way to the edge. Brush with remaining olive oil mixture.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and top with remaining cheese. Return to oven for 4–5 minutes or until cheese is melted and just starting to brown. Serve pizza topped with fresh basil or arugula, and balsamic glaze.