Our Fresh Summer Shrimp and Quinoa Rolls with Dipping Sauce are a delicious lunchtime snack to eat while on your feet at any event. These food truck favorites might be a little fiddly to make, but after a few tries, you’ll quickly get the hang of it.
Stop and swap
Peanut allergy concerns? Substitute cashew butter for the peanut butter. Don’t have all the veggies? Any thinly shaved vegetable, from radishes to grated carrots, can be added or substituted.
Fresh Summer Shrimp and Quinoa Rolls with Dipping Sauce
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp low-sodium tamari
- 1/2 tsp sambal oelek or sriracha sauce
- Hot water as needed
Quinoa Rice Paper Rolls
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 Tbsp ponzu sauce
- 18 medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 large rice roll papers, plus extra if needed
- 6 small lettuce leaves
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium-sized carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- 6 green onions, trimmed but kept whole
- In small bowl, combine all dipping sauce ingredients except hot water. Whisk until smooth, adding a little hot water as needed to thin for easy dipping. Set aside.
- In fine-mesh sieve, thoroughly rinse quinoa. In small saucepan over medium heat, place rinsed quinoa along with oil and sauté for 2 minutes to toast. Add boiling water, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa begins to sprout and water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in ponzu sauce. Transfer quinoa to baking sheet and spread out to dry.
- Fill medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Remove shrimp tails. To saucepan of boiling water, add shrimp and poach, covered, for 5 minutes or until they turn pink. Drain and blot dry. Set aside.
- To assemble rolls, pour some hot water into very large bowl. Immerse single rice paper in water for about 15 to 20 seconds, remove, and then gently spread out on large, damp cutting board. Paper is very fragile; it may take more than one attempt to make these without tearing.
- On lower half of single damp rice paper, place 1 lettuce leaf and top with a scoop of quinoa. Layer some zucchini and carrot on top. Scatter with a few basil leaves, then 1 green onion.
- From the edge nearest to you, begin gently rolling up, tucking in sides while encasing quinoa in lettuce leaf, stopping halfway. Line 3 shrimp along roll, and then continue to roll up, sealing tightly. Place seam-side down on serving dish. Repeat with remaining rice papers and ingredients.
- Serve immediately with peanut dipping sauce. Alternatively, cover with damp paper towel, place in tightly sealed container, and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until ready to serve.
Per roll with dip: 153 calories; 9 g protein; 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat); 15 g total carbohydrates (2 g sugars, 3 g fiber); 120 mg sodium